One in nine product and process innovative enterprises co-operate with European partners
Among enterprises with product and process innovation activities in the EU27, 27% co-operated3 with other enterprises, universities or public research institutes in 2008-2010, while the remaining 73% innovated using only internal resources. The highest proportions of innovation co-operation were found in Cyprus (62% of all product and process innovative enterprises), Austria (51%), Slovenia (45%), Lithuania and Hungary (both 43%), and the lowest in Italy (12%), Malta (18%), Portugal (20%), Spain and Bulgaria (both 22%).
In the EU27, 11% of innovative enterprises had innovation co-operation with a partner in another EU27 Member State, EFTA, acceding or candidate country4, 3% with a partner in the United States and 2% with a partner in India or China. Innovation co-operation with a European partner was highest in Cyprus (38% of all product and process innovative enterprises), Slovenia (35%), Austria, Estonia and Slovakia (all 30%), Finland (28%) and Luxembourg (27%), and lowest in Italy (4%), Spain (5%), Germany (8%) and Portugal (9%).
Finland (12%), Sweden (11%) and Slovenia (8%) had the largest shares of innovation co-operation with partners in the United States, and Finland (9%), Sweden (7%), Luxembourg and Slovenia (both 6%) with partners in India or China.